This is adapted from a Schlage tech note Procedure to Initialize a New Red Programming Key into a PED-1000 or PED-500 (Solution ID 56109. Link opens in new tab).
Hardware Needed: A user key that is valid in the unit (can be grey fob, blue fob or master key); new red programming key; StratIS Tablet; StratIS 2-prong door programming cable.
Step 1 - Download door files:
- Login to StratIS Sphere on your tablet. From the Action menu, select Manage Property -> Door Operations
- If the "Count of Door Files" in the center circle does not say "0", select "Clear Door Files".
- Select "Download Door Files". Tick the box at the bottom of the window next to "Select All", then tap "Download".
- When the notification window says "Download completed successfully", tap "Done".
Step 2 - Present the new programming fob to the lock:
- Present the user key. The PED (Schlage button) will flash green and unlock.
- While the green light is flashing, present the new red programming key. The light will turn solid red.
- Press the Schlage button 5 times. The light will stay red and beep each time it’s pressed. When finished pressing the button, the red light will remain solid.
- Present the new red programming key again. The unit will lock and the light will flash red & green. (This means the lock is in programming mode.)
While the light is flashing red and green, connect the StratIS tablet to door using the 2-prong cable. If the lock connection times out and beeps, restart the procedure from step 1.
Step 3 - Program the door:
- On the StratIS tablet, in the Door Operations menu, tap the "Connect to Lock" circle at the top. Once the door recognizes the tablet, a message will appear in the center circle saying "Connected" with the unit name underneath.
- Do not verify date/time or firmware at this time.
- If the correct unit name appears in the center circle, select "Program Door" on the left.
- If the unit name in the center circle is incorrect or does not appear, tap "Select Door to Program" on the left and choose the correct unit name from the pop-up window. In the same window, choose "Program Door".
- When the door is programmed, a confirmation message will appear in the center circle and the lock will time out.
- Touch the new red fob to the lock. If it is programmed successfully, the light on the lock will blink red and green 5 times. At this time you can either move on to the next door or double check the lock information for errors.
- To double check the lock, present the new red fob and connect the tablet to the lock using the instructions in Step 3.
- Verify the time and date are correct. If either is not, tap the "Set Door Time" circle to the right of the center circle. This will set the date and time to the date and time on your tablet.
Troubleshooting Tips - If the lock is not behaving as expected, check the following information:
- Check that the date & time are correct in the lock. (See Steps 4.2 & 4.3)
- Verify the date and time on your tablet are correct: Press the home icon at the bottom of the screen to go to the tablet desktop. Tap the "gear" icon to access settings. Choose "Date & Time" from the list of options and confirm the timezone information is correct for your location.
- Verify the lock firmware is correct: Connect the tablet to the lock using the instructions in Step 3. Tap "Get Door Info". Note the Point ID and confirm that the firmware version is 1.28 (PED-500). If the firmware on the lock is not up to date, contact either StratIS support or Schlage tech support immediately.